Wednesday 10 July 2013

Under Cover

A couple of years ago these wrap images started popping up in the Vancouver area.  I wasn't super sure how I felt about them until I learned that they were graffiti proof.  Well, Ok.  A bit of a stretch for me on fake beautification preservation. 
Image from here
Other countries have their own variation.  This is what Brisbane (Australia) has done. They ran a competition and had original art work painted directly on and signed by local residents.  They have a total of 1000 boxes, having 100 painted each year starting in 2000.  Each one different. I prefer this look.

"Cell Fire" artist Penn Donovan

"The Sea on the Tide" artist Nicole Gaunt
"The Sea on the Tide" in context

Originally I was starting this post to mark how cities are trying to hide electronics.  The latest effort that makes me grin; LA's fake tree cell towers seen here as catalogued by Emily Shur naming her photography project "Nature Calls.".


Emily Shur
Emily Shur

Emily Shur

No comments:

Post a Comment