Saturday 13 July 2013

Do the work



Last week my Swht and I were flying home from Saskatoon having moved our daughter and her little family there.  (sigh -- from Calgary so, further away from the West Coast and us).  Due to thunderstorms in Calgary we sat on the tarmac in Saskatoon waiting for clearance (maybe 20 minutes) and then again trying to get out of Calgary on the second leg of the flight.  So... what to do?  My Swht and I share the same Kindle account so whatever he buys also downloads on my iPad.  I cruised through the options.  'War of Art' was looking me in the face and I thought, what the heck. 

I settled in to an easy read.  And quickly found out that Steven Pressfield had somehow been in my head snooping around.  If you are a writer, visual artist, dancer, musician this book will speak to you.  It also may speak to athletes and business people but I'm not as connected there.  It spoke to where I was at.  I am not a book reviewer nor a writer but I am in a transition and in this space have been left alone for a spell with my creative outlets feeling guilty and compelled to let them fill my days as I look for work.  I connected with much that SP had to say and especially his statement and philosophy on 'do the work'.   

“The most important thing about art is to work. Nothing else matters except sitting down every day and trying.”  ― Steven Pressfield, The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks & Win Your Inner Creative Battles
 
my favourite quote...

“Someone once asked Somerset Maughham if he wrote on a schedule or only when struck by inspiration. "I write only when inspiration strikes," he replied. "Fortunately it strikes every morning at nine o'clock sharp.” ― Steven Pressfield, The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks & Win Your Inner Creative Battles
my summer mantra... "do the work" and while doing the work you are in the place with the highest potential that inspiration may strike. 

No comments:

Post a Comment