Wednesday 13 February 2013

New efforts for love

I'm trying a couple of new things. Why not, it keeps the brain involved and active. Made my little missy E a quilt for her first birthday and gave a few things a try. She's worth the effort.

Working with open seams rather than press to the darker fabric.
I like how it minimizes bulk
First time trying applique.
My little girlie still needs eyes.
Funny but that's got me all nervous.


Instead of batting and a backing fabric, I quilted to
this amazing Sherpa which I purchased a year or so ago
at our famous DressSew here in Vancouver
Instead of batting and a backing fabric I quilted the top to this amazing Sherpa which I purchased a year or so ago when DressSew, here in Vancouver, had their one and only 50% off sale for their 50th birthday. The whole store was 50% off and I stood in the cutting line oh maybe 35 minutes and then off to the purchase line which was half way around the store another 45. Whew!  Were you in line too?!!!  Here's the payoff.

The pattern is from this sweet little book, Quilts Baby, that was a door prize at our Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild meeting a couple of months ago donated by the fabulous Laurraine Yuyama, who also has an original baby quilt pattern in this book called Monkey Business which I also want to try.  I loved the modern/vintage feel of the one I made for missy E, especially the birds.  Took a couple of different cues from other patterns in the book like a dog in blue shoes.  Very fun.  Learning to label too but it is not that impressive.  Give me a couple of years to get that down.

No comments:

Post a Comment